Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Five billion people almost DIE, and it is FUNNY

What an interesting thing to say!

I found it on Book-A-Minute, being the synopsis for Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

The really funny part is that it's a fairly good representation of the overall story. If you haven't read Good Omens, I strongly urge you to - it's a good read, like pretty much all of Pratchett's work.

Some of the other 'condensations' on Book-A-Minute aren't so good, though. This one, for Dune, for example:

Frank Herbert
I'm lots smarter than you are. I challenge you to understand even one of my paragraphs!
Reader
Gee, Frank Herbert is smart. I can't even find the plot.
THE END

I'd have to say that I found the plot very easy to find in Dune, so either the person who wrote the condensation is not very bright, or they were making a point about Frank Herbert's sometimes rather heavy style... I suspect the latter.

Unless, of course, their condensation was based on the 1984 movie. I'd totally agree with them, then - I saw that movie back in the mid-80s, and didn't understand it at all until I read the novel about five years later. I'd definitely recommend the 2000 mini-series over that movie, if you want to actually comprehend what you're watching. Unless you've read the book, in which case you'll be able to figure out the movie enough to sit back and enjoy the soundtrack by Toto. :-D

No comments: