Saturday, April 3, 2010
Batch No. 2, fresh out of the oven.
Did the sugar/water glaze, this time - works quite well.
The buns are very tasty - I used a recipe out of a 1973 cookbook from my mum's collection, except I put in about 5 times as much spice as they suggested (I like my hot cross buns to have flavour!)
As you can see from the photos, I still didn't use a big enough pan. So, next time, I'm going to (a) make the buns individually a bit smaller, and (b) use two pans, so they're not so squished together.
They also had an issue with splitting/cracking on one edge - seems there was a lot of oven spring in these buns. If I leave them to rise a bit more before cooking (which I can do if they're spread out a bit more in two pans), maybe they wont do that so much. Or maybe they'll just have more room to expand without being forced upwards.
Anyway, will give that a go in a week or so.