Friday, June 6, 2008

Holidays are fun!

I should have more of them... :D

But seriously, it's been nice having the time off.

Today, for instance, I ate breakfast, then watched an episode of Two Men in a Trench that we'd recorded ages ago (possibly even last year!) that I hadn't gotten around to watching yet. It was about the battle of Shrewesbury, where Hotspur fought against Henry IV. The archaeologists were excavating the sites of the battleground & a nearby contemporary village. Found lots of rusty old arrow heads, the tip of a sword, and a spike from a war hammer.

After that, I watched a movie called "Musa" (again, recorded ages ago on the PVR). It's a South Korean epic, set in the 15th century in northern China, about a band of Korean warriors trying to get back home. Really quite good. Unfortunately, SBS shifted their movies an hour later so they could show the football (soccer) earlier. This meant I only got the first hour and a half of the movie - it's nearly two and a half hours long! Bugger... now I'll have to try to find a copy somewhere. Here's the original movie poster:



Well, not much else to report. A bit of gaming, a bit of reading, including an excellent book by Alistair Reynolds - Redemption Ark. If you're into serious sci-fi, you've gotta read this series, starting with Revelation Space. I found Revelation Space a bit hard going at first, but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. Chasm City & Redemption Ark, on the other hand, I've enjoyed right from the beginning, and now I can't wait to read the next in the series!

But right now, I've started reading The One That Got Away, by Chris Ryan, about the Bravo Two Zero SAS patrol in the 1991 Gulf War. Only a chapter in, and the picture it paints is not good - screwups all round, it sounds like.

Anyway, I'm off to do some more holiday-type stuff... :-P

No comments: